Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where can I get help on my application?
For questions or help with your online application, please contact us. We will accept your inquiry at any time and we are committed to responding to every e-mail within 48 hours or less. You can also reach us Monday-Friday, 9:00 -17:00 ET at 1-877-859-2737.
2. How many Loblaw Scholarships are available and what is their value?
The number of annual awards will vary depending on the number of qualified applicants nationwide. Each winner receives a single Scholarship worth $1,500. Loblaw Companies Limited reserves the right to limit the maximum number of awards each year.
3. What is the Scholarship application deadline?
The Loblaw Scholarship deadline is Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 15:00 ET.
If you are located outside of the Eastern Time Zone, please make sure to take note of what your corresponding deadline will be:
Pacific: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 12:00 (noon)
Mountain: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 13:00
Central: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 14:00
Eastern: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 15:00
Atlantic: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 16:00
Newfoundland: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 16:30
Winners will be contacted in August.
4. What are the eligibility requirements?
To be eligible for a Loblaw Scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be enrolled or planning to enrol in a full-time diploma or full-time undergraduate degree-seeking course of study at a publicly-funded university or college in Canada in the fall 2018 academic term. For detailed eligibility criteria for students in CEGEP (Quebec only), please see the question below
- You must hold a minimum academic average of 70% in your final year of secondary school study or an average of 70% in your previous year of study at a Canadian publicly-funded university or college
- Demonstrated participation in volunteer activities
- You must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada
- You must submit an online Application by Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 15:00 ET
5. Are CEGEP students (Quebec only) eligible to apply?
CEGEP students are eligible to apply if they are in their graduating year, are planning to enrol in a publicly-funded university or college in fall 2018, and have met the scholarship eligibility criteria.
6. Are graduate students (Masters and Ph.D.) eligible to apply?
Currently, Loblaw Companies Limited does not offer scholarships to graduate students.
7. Do you have to be employed by Loblaw in order to apply for the scholarship?
The Loblaw Scholarship is open to employees, their family members and the general public. As long as you meet the requirements, you are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
8. I’m still waiting for my permanent Canadian resident status to be approved – am I still eligible to apply?
Yes. However, you must ensure your permanent residence status has been approved and finalized at the time the Loblaw Scholarships are awarded.
9. I attend or plan on attending a college or university outside of Canada, but I am a Canadian citizen. Am I eligible to apply?
No. You must be attending a publicly-funded university or college in Canada.
10. I plan on attending a post-secondary school outside of Canada next year as part of a year-abroad program – am I still eligible to apply?
You may still be eligible to apply provided you are participating in an exchange program as part of your course curriculum at a publicly-funded Canadian university or college (your graduation diploma must be issued from a Canadian college or university).
11. I'm planning on taking a year off, am I still eligible to apply?
No. If you intend to take the year off after you submit your Application, you are not eligible to apply this year – however, you can always apply for the year you plan to resume your studies.
12. How do I know if my college or university is "publicly-funded"?
Please contact us for more details.
13. How do you define “volunteerism”?
For the purposes of this scholarship application, “Volunteerism” is defined as altruistic work activities you engage in without receiving monetary compensation or school credit (hours that count toward your diploma or degree).
Examples that qualify but are not limited to:
- Volunteer coach for a youth sports team
- Volunteer leader or counselor for a youth group
- Organizing events for your community; garbage clean-ups, food collection drives, etc.
- Unpaid volunteer and/or community service work performed outside of school, including but not limited to: UNICEF, WWF, etc.
- Any unpaid volunteer work undertaken on behalf of not-for-profit or religious organizations within the community
- Unpaid house cleaning, snow clearing, lawn maintenance, grocery shopping or other household chores undertaken on behalf of the elderly or disabled
Examples that do not qualify but are not limited to:
- Donations of money or “goods” to charitable institutions
- Babysitting, house cleaning, snow clearing, lawn maintenance, grocery shopping and other chores done on behalf of self, family or extended family, paid or unpaid.
- Working extra hours or taking on extra shifts at your place of employment
14. How do you define “retail experience”?
For the purposes of this scholarship application, retail experience is defined as front-end serving of customers. Examples may include working at a clothing or retail store, or as a cashier at a fast-food restaurant or grocery store.
15. Will the information I submit be verified?
Our Scholarship Program administrator, yconic, may verify finalists’ information.
If the information cannot be verified by the scholarship administrator, within any specified timeframe, or it is otherwise determined that the applicant is not in compliance with the Scholarship Terms and Conditions, Loblaw Companies Limited reserves the right to disqualify your application.
Finalists will be asked to submit transcripts and/or other documents as proof of eligibility.
16. I’m having trouble viewing the website, what can I do to fix the problem?
If you are having trouble, the following contains information regarding technical requirements. Should you continue to have issues, please contact us.
The online application works best when using the latest versions of all modern browsers.
Please ensure your browser is set to accept cookies. Again, most browsers are set to accept cookies by default.
In order to access the Sample Application in PDF format, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.